If you’re into computers, you’re not alone. It’s hard to imagine our lives without them. Computers, the Web and the ability to hack have infiltrated our lives and even the movies we like to watch. Whether you’re looking for a thriller, crime drama or a goofy comedy, there’s a movie for you.
The Top 10 Hacker Movies:
- WarGames – Matthew Broderick stars as a teenage computer hacker who inadvertently hacks into the Department of Defense and comes close to starting World War III. Nearly thirty years old, this sci-fi classic is riddled with inaccuracies and implausible scenarios but is still very entertaining to watch. Some film buffs even consider this film to be the quintessential hacker film.
- Swordfish – This 2001 action thriller starring Hugh Jackman, John Travolta, Sam Shepard and Halle Berry is about a counter-terrorist who enlists a gifted hacker and tries to get him to help steal billions of dirty money from the US Government. Bonus: Halle Berry, wanting to conquer her fear of doing nude scenes appears topless.
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Based on Stieg Larsson’s best selling trilogy, this film tells the story of a journalist and computer hacker who team up to solve a mysterious disappearance and while doing so, uncover dark and twisted secrets about a wealthy family.
- The Net – If you’re a Sandra Bullock fan, you’ll like this film even if it’s a little cheesy. Okay, very cheesy. This film tells the story of a freelance software engineer who uncovers a conspiracy in the CD-Rom game she’s debugging. This movie is chock-full of cliches!
- Sneakers – This thriller from 1992, led by an allstar cast (Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, River Phoenix and more), this film is about computer hackers that get blackmailed by the government. The action-packed scenes will have you on the edge of your seat. Even though this film was made twenty years ago, the “It’s all about the information” message still rings true.
- The Matrix – Now considered a science fiction classic with a cult following, The Matrix is the story of a programmer who learns that the world he grew up in is a computer generated virtual reality. His mission? Hack the illusion and liberate mankind.
- Track Down – This action packed thriller is based on real events. A gifted computer hacker becomes entangled in a game of cat and mouse through the world wide web. This film may not be completely accurate but it is highly entertaining!
- Hackers – A 1995 film about a young boy who is arrested by the US Secret Service for writing a computer virus. Years later he discovers a virus about to be unleashed and must gather evidence to convince officials that the plot is real. This film launched Angelina Jolie’s career as a leading lady.
- Office Space – This comedy is about three IT workers who work out a plan to use the company’s main frame to embezzle money. This Mike Judge comedy pokes fun at corporate culture and all things associated with it. It’s easy to see why this is a cult classic. The iconic printer smashing scene is a must see.
- Weird Science – The two computer nerds in this 1985 classic use a computer to create Lisa, a supermodel with a genius IQ. The old computer gear in this movie make it especially fun to watch!
Guest post contributed by Lisa Hirst Carnes, for ArcStone.com. Lisa is a tech writer and marketing expert in Minneapolis. She keeps tabs on all the latest internet marketing news, computer security, security products, malware protection and more.